Alaska Department of Commerce, Community & Economic Development
Division of Corporations, Business, and Professional Licensing
State Board of Barbers & Hairdressers
P.O. Box 110806
Juneau, AK, 99811 -0806
- Written $35
- Practical $60
- Hairdresser $140 - Biennial renewal $140
- Instructor $220 - Biennial renewal $220
- Shop owner license $220 - Biennial renewal $220
- School and school owner $620 - Biennial renewal $620
All licenses expire on August 31 of odd-numbered years, with the exception of new licenses issued within 90 days of the license expiration date.
- Hairdressers must complete a 1,650-hour course or a 2,000-hour board approved apprenticeship, plus a written and practical exam.
- Shop owners are not required to take an exam for a shop license, but must either be a licensed practitioner or must employ a manager who is a licensed practitioner. A licensed shop must meet sanitary health requirements and may not be in a private residence unless the shop is located in a separate room apart from the living quarters.
Number of Licenses on December 31, 2015
Shop owners: 685
School instructors: 191
School owners: 18
Last updated January 2016.