Commercial Vehicle Operator

Licensing Authority

Alaska Department of Administration
Division of Motor Vehicles
1300 W Benson Boulevard Ste 100
Anchorage, AK, 99503 -3600
phone: 907.269.5551


License $100
Renewal $100 (every five years)
Road test $25
Duplicate license $15


Individuals must have a Commercial Drivers' License (CDL) in order to operate a singlevehicle or any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 pounds; a vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons (includingthe driver); and any size vehicle which requires a hazardous materials placard.

Applicants must:

  • be at least 19 years of age for intrastate/21 years of age for interstate
  • have one year of driving experience
  • held a valid license in U.S. for at least one year
  • pass a medical exam
  • pass a series of written exams
  • pass a skill (road) test
  • self certify to medical status

There are three license classes with four endorsements to the license available. Contact the Division for further information.

A CDL license with a hazardous materials (haz-mat) endorsement requires a background check (including anyone transferring their CDL from outside Alaska). Renewal of haz-mat endorsement requires passing the haz-mat knowledge test (contact DMV for more information on the test), and a background check.

Number of Licenses on December 31, 2013

Class A: 17,932
Class A/M1: 6,275
Class B: 8,241
Class B/M1: 1,919
Class C: 810
Class C/M1: 182

Total CDL Drivers: 35,359

Last updated June 2014.