Charter Boat Operator

There are 3 licensing authorities for Charter Boat Operator.
Licensing Authority

Alaska Department of Administration
Division of Motor Vehicles
1300 W Benson Boulevard Ste 100
Anchorage, AK, 99503 -3600
phone: 907.269.5551


Powered boat registration $24
Non-Powered boat registration $10 (only required when used for sport fishing guide)


All power vessels, used on any water in Alaska must be registered with State of Alaska, DMV (exceptions include government owned vessels, documented vessels, a seaplane, limited use by vessel from another state). Registration is valid for 3 years. All powered boats (including non-powered boats with auxiliary power units) used on any water of the state. (This includes all rivers, streams, and lakes, regardless of size, and all salt water within 3 miles of land.)

Effective February 10, 2005: All sport fishing guides are required to register both powered and non-powered boats.

Licensing Authority

U.S. Coast Guard
National Maritime Center
Coast Guard Regional Exam Center

U.S. Coast Guard
REC Juneau
9105 Mendenhall Mall Rd. Suite 170
Juneau, AK 99801
phone: 907.463.2458
fax: 907.463.2482

U.S. Coast Guard
REC Anchorage
222 W. 7th Ave., Box 55, Rm 156
Anchorage, AK 99513
phone: 907.271.6736
fax: 907.271.6742

U.S. Coast Guard
MSD Ketchikan (REC)
1621 Tongass Ave. Suite 202
Ketchikan, AK 99901
phone: 907.225.4496 EXT #3
fax: 907.225.4499


U.S. Coast Guard:

Payment for fees is available via the internet at

License and exam fees:

  • Evaluation fee $100
  • Examination fee $95
  • Issuance fee $45


Please see specific requirements at:

Licensing Authority

Alaska Department of Fish & Game
Division of Sport Fish-RTS
333 Raspberry Road
Anchorage, AK, 99518 -1599
phone: 907.267.2369
fax: 907.367.2422


Effective Jan 1, 2005, the ADF&G began registering all vessels used in sport fish charter activities. If the sport fish guide vessel is also used for commercial fishing, it must still be licensed with the Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission (CFEC).

All vessels, powered and non-powered, must have a current AK number issued by the Division of Motor Vehicles or a USCG documentation number unique for their vessel prior to becoming registered with ADF&G.

Registration is required for non-powered boats operated by Sport Fishing Guides with clients on board.

Other non-powered boats may be registered by DMV if requested by the owner.

The only exemption to vessel registration with ADF&G are single person floatation tubes.

More specific information can be found on the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) web site at:

Last updated April 2015.